DaRico Jackson Celebrity Hairstyle & Author of “Ain’t I a Woman”



Celebrity Hairstylist DaRico Jackson has been giving body and perfection to the hairstyles of some of our favorite celebrities such as Tasha Smith, Elise Neal, Michael Ealy, Raven Simone, and Paula Abdul. After many years in the industry and great success, DaRico has decided to release a book titled “Ain’t I a Woman.” In the “coffee table book,” DaRico showcases some of America’s top notable black women. With film, editorial, and hair shows all under his belt, the book is set to deliver a powerful movement among black women, their hair, and their voices.

In this interview with Fab Life, DaRico discusses his love for styling hair and how he got his start. He also discusses his book and his work.

When did you start doing hair?
DaRico: I started doing hair when I was around seven years old. My aunt, whose 2 years younger ("Go figure!"), and I used to gather all the dolls in the house and play "beauty shop" everyday, all summer long. We would comb their hair one day and wash and restyle the next! Then I moved on to cousins, aunts, friends and the rest is history. In fact, my Aunt Felicia is now a hair stylist as well.

What aspects of the media do you enjoy most?
DaRico: The aspects of media that I enjoy the most is television and film because it's a true test of skills. There's nothing like seeing the hair that I've created perform on the big screen. I remember when I did Tasha Smith's hair for 'Why Did I Get Married.' That bob moved across that screen like an action hero! LOL! It swung back and forth and snapped back in place! I still blush when I see it! And the people are still asking for it!


What are the challenges that you face as an educator and platform artist?

DaRico: I think the biggest challenge for me as a platform artist and educator is the ability to captivate the audience. Not only do you want them to enjoy the experience, however, it is just as important that they learn and retain what they have seen.

How often do you travel outside of the salon?
DaRico: Between hairshows, Mizani education, and my celebrity clients, I am on the road probably three weekends per month.

What is the most challenging style that you have created?
DaRico: The most challenging style that I have ever created was when I turned three people into a flower garden for a photograph. I made a Calla Lily, Gladiola, and Bird Of Paradise. Sculpting the Calla Lily was beyond a challenge. I couldn't get my head wrapped around the idea, but I finally figured it out and it was beautiful!



What is your current project?
DaRico: My current project is a "coffee table book" called “Ain't I A Woman: 50 of the Most Influential Black Women and the Truth Behind Their Hair.” This is a full feature editorial of never before seen pictures of my "fabulous fifty."

Why a coffee table book?
DaRico: I have chosen to do a coffee table book for a few reasons. For one, it gives me an opportunity to create art from my point of view, showcase my work, and showcase a kaleidoscope of creative people in a way that no one else has. Each photo was created with and styled with my stylist and partner, Bynoskia Sam. The photos feature the work of various makeup artists and photographers that were carefully chosen to bring out the best in every photograph. 

What is the book about?
DaRico: The book will not only showcase the beauty of some of the most important black women that we know and love, but “Ain't I A Woman” is a behind the scenes look at several high profile women and explore first hand the styles that make a difference in their lives and life styles. In addition, the ladies will talk about the challenges of baring the hair of a black woman.

Who is in the book?
DaRico: Vivica Fox , business mogul Tina Davis, actress Rochelle Aytes, boxing champion Yolanda Ezell, and director of Soul Food the Series Sam Martin, just to name a few.

How can we contact you for bookings?
DaRico: To contact me for bookings please call me directly at 310 926-5838 or email me at daricojackson@yahoo.com.

1 comment

Stylista KT | November 26, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Wow! This is a great interview..it's awesome that your uncovering the celeb's stylist b/c i always wonder who does the celebs hair and makes them look GLAM! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE FABULOUS LIFE!