Imperfect Concepts With Tasha Robinson



Having a dream to be in the fashion industry is one thing but to actually live out your dream is a totally different story. That is why I was more than impressed with Tasha Robinson a young lady that despite economic problems, despite the hardships, and despite the “typical” rules for breaking into fashion made her own lane in this tough industry.

Tasha Robinson is the owner of Imperfect Concepts, an online boutique that resells vintage and pre-loved clothes to the public for affordable prices. After contacting us here at Fab Life it was only right that we shared Tasha’s story with all the Fab ladies.


LA: Hi Tasha! If you could describe yourself as a businesswoman in a few words what would you say about yourself?

TR: Determined and goal driven would be the words I use to mainly describe myself as a businesswoman. There are other words I could use but I emphasize those because you have to be determined to accomplish your vision.

LA: We want to know about your online company Imperfect Concepts, what brands do you carry, what are some typical styles you would have on the website?
TR: Imperfect Concepts is an online high-end women’s resale boutique that carries a vast variety of lines and brands. Being that we are a resale shop we don't carry mass quantities of a particular brand. The boutique also carries a large vintage items. I think women relate more to vintage clothing: the bohemian chic, the businesswoman, the college girl, or stay at mom can shop resale or vintage at Imperfect Concepts. We cater to all.

LA: You have many praises from buyers to fashion features about Imperfect Concepts what do you think draws women to the site the most? TR: I think it's because I'm a firm believer on customer service and I'm accessible to my customers. I want everyone that comes to my store to feel they are my number one customer, because they are. I go beyond the call of duty with my customers. I love doing follow ups to see how the item is working within their wardrobe. I want to be the girlfriend they seek advice from and I feel I've attained that. Imperfect Concepts has a high retention rate with return clients.

LA: I would consider you a Entrepreneur, you are out here you putting in the hard work and building a successful company what do you think is the most important thing to take with you on the journey for any woman looking to start a company?
TR: The most important thing is to ALWAYS remember that not everyone is going to see your vision or think you are going to be successful. Push on in spite of that. Believe in yourself and your brand. Give your company a 150% all the time nothing less.

LA: Having your own company has to be demanding, how do you balance everything throughout the day so that you wouldn’t overwhelm yourself?

TR: Honestly, I have yet to master the balance in my life! I still do yoga in the morning and watch ESPN/CNN. Those are things I do for myself that haven't changed. My personal life flows pretty well with my company since I work for myself. Also, I write a to do list daily and I love the part of marking out the things I have completed! Furthermore, I take a mini vacation the first weekend of the month to visit my parents, which keeps me as sane as possible! As, for my friends, I have a super small group of friends and we all work for ourselves so we know what is like to be super busy on a project, but we make time for each other. So I guess I do have a balance in my life. My life intertwines pretty darn well.

LA: How did you come up with the name Imperfect Concepts?
TR: I was sitting on my bed and had conversations with numerous of friends about the name. Imperfect Concepts, was not the original company name. The name literally just came to me after talking to one of my best friends, and as they say the rest is history now.

LA: What was the inspiration for Imperfect Concepts and what steps did you take to get started?
TR: I always knew I wanted to run my own business and in high school I knew I wanted to open my own boutique. After college I worked in retail for a year and half to get more of the operational side of running a business. I also did plethora of research. I talked with business owners, found a lawyer and an accountant. I actually bought a “Dummies' Guide!" I say I took a leap because I left job security to do my passion.


LA: For the women who have never been on the website, what can they look forward to and what are some of the price ranges are the clothing?
TR: They can look forward to excitement for all the great finds they will discover. Literally, I feel Imperfect Concepts is an undiscovered treasure on the internet. Women will be amazed at the variety of items we carry and the level of service they receive from me as a small business owner.

LA: What benefits does your site offer that they couldn’t get from other retailers?
TR: I am a personable person and customer service driven vs. big name retailer. When chain department stores first started out they were customer service driven now that they make millions in a quarter they've lost that quality. My company wouldn't thrive if I didn’t have my customers so I want to be loyal to them and for them to be able to reach me.

LA: Starting your own business can be tough what obstacles have you faced and what are some ways you have worked through those obstacles?TR: Knowing where to start was the biggest obstacle. It is easier to renovate a business from within than to build from the ground up was far more difficult than I assumed. Finding capital is also something hard. Luckily I had a savings, but (kickstart.com) is an amazing website, as well as inc.com, and watching CNN helps me a lot. I cannot sing their praises enough. Reaching out to people also helped me. When I launched, I leaned on my then boyfriend who still supports my best friends and me to this day. There are so many downfalls that can happen but there are so many joyous moments that outweigh those. I don’t call obstacles, obstacles I say they are stepping-stones to help me reach my goal.

LA: What advice could you give young girls looking to move forward and conquer their dreams?
TR: Believe in yourself and don’t listen to the naysayer’s. I know it's extremely hard but keep pushing to the finish line. You can fail a million times but the success of succeeding one time will outweigh any of those set backs! Be positive no matter what your circumstances are. Enjoy what you do, the money will come--don’t rush it.

LA: Where do you see your company Imperfect Concepts in the next 5 years?TR: I don’t know why this is my favorite question to be asked. Maybe cause I truly just don’t know the answer. I take it a day at a time. It's cliché, but I've learned to live in the present because it is a present from above to be living in it. I want success for my store and I want for it be a household name, but what I want is not always want the man above wants so, I'm going with the flow!

LA: What else would you like Fab Life viewers to know about yourself and Imperfect Concepts?
TR: Umm, that I'm freaking awesome! Lol! But really, if they only take away one thing from this, it's that Dreams do come true and believe in them because your dreams can become your reality. I am a living testimony to that. #POW giggles

Checkout www.imperfectconcepts.com
By: Lakeithea A.

2 comments

Tee | October 24, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Thanks for a great Q&A

It's My Style Show | October 28, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Thanks for sharing your story!!

XOXO LAKEITHEA