Designer Amanda Valentine

I was putting the final touches on Fab Life: Project Fab and noticed I was missing something, Oh yea Amanda Valentine the amazing designer hailing from Nebraska who is hot on the fashion scene here in Tennessee! From the exchange of many emails due to our hectic schedules we finally found a way to work it out and I’m excited to give Fab Life the lowdown on Amanda Valentine the designer/stylist.

Lakeithea: Who is Amanda Valentine? Tell Fab Life a little about your style and how you got started designing?

 Amanda:I grew up in Nebraska the youngest of 5 children. My parents are fascinating. The entire time I was growing up my dad traveled for business and he would bring silks back from Hong Kong or Doc Martins from England or dresses from Paris. My mother is an amazing seamstress (and former beauty queen/model) and taught me the art of thrift store shopping at a very young age. That combination had me sewing and creating looks by age 8. I had a Vogue subscription by age 12. I’ve been hooked since then!

Lakeithea: Tennessee still trying to come up on the fashion scene, what is it like being a local designer?

Amanda: The beauty of Nashville still growing its fashion industry is we (the participants- designers/stylists/models/promoters, etc) get to decide how to build the framework. There is no blueprint, and that gives us an exciting opportunity to decide how we want to build it! I love that I can be a clothing designer AND a wardrobe stylist, so my roles change with each fashion show, photo shoot or event!

 Lakeithea: What pieces do you offer and where can we buy them?

 Amanda: I’ve been really busy (and lucky to be busy!) with wardrobe styling but I promise to stock my stores soon! I keep accessories at both Nashville Clothing Company locations. I have women’s clothing at Local Honey (12th and Linden) and Feedback Clothing (on Belmont). I also have an online store: avalentine.etsy.com and vintage coming soon to valvintage.etsy.com (be patient I will stock it in the next week or so)!

 Lakeithea: What’s your inspiration for the Spring/Summer designs?

Amanda: The phrase I came up with is “Flamboyant Mysticism”. It is a reference to ancient cultures rich with spirituality- specifically Ancient Egypt and Mayan societies. But I have transferred their rich ideas and colors and textures through a more stark, modern canvas.

 Lakeithea: I love your dresses they are different what is your concept behind them?

 Amanda: I first started shredding fabric in college. I was trying to figure out a way to manipulate fabrics in a way I had never seen before… And it won me scholarships! Years later I am still developing the technique. It’s definitely my signature look.

Lakeithea: You were apart of Naked Without Us! Tell us a little more about that and the pieces you showcased.

Amanda: I’ve been with Naked Without Us since the beginning! It’s so exciting to take a look back at the growth of the event. I showcased a lot of mini dresses and shredded tops and tunics. It’s surprisingly wearable stuff, though not for the shy!

 Lakeithea: You were featured on “Better Nashville” how was that?

Amanda: It was incredible! The great part about that for me is that I mentioned Goodwill as a place I source materials and was contacted by them! I love that I’m in contact with a company I really respect!

 Lakeithea: What shows can everyone see your work in this Spring/Summer?

 Amanda: Now that Naked Without Us is over this season, I’m preparing for the fall shows! But first I have a show May 20th at Cannery Ballroom called “Fashionology”. This is an AMAZING event that raises supplies, money, and awareness for Nashville Public Schools. I’m thrilled to be a part of it.

You can check out Amanda Valentine work and get to know her more at her twitter page and on her blog.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

By: Lakeithea Anderson